HandsOn Hong Kong
Development, Board of Directors
Mission and Vision
HandsOn Hong Kong (HOHK) is a registered charity whose mission is to empower everyone in Hong Kong to volunteer. We envision a Hong Kong where our community serves together to address social needs.
About HandsOn Hong Kong
HOHK is a registered non-profit organization dedicated to supporting our city’s social sector through mobilizing volunteer services. Founded in 2007, we develop service programs in partnership with local, under-served non-profit organizations and connect them with the volunteer manpower they need to achieve their mission. Each month, HOHK runs up to 200 volunteer activities as a free public service, supporting our 100+ NGO partners who focus on causes such as alleviating poverty, educating children, assisting the elderly, empowering people with disabilities, feeding the poor, helping the homeless, supporting animal welfare, environmental conservation and more. For more information, visit our website at www.handsonhongkong.org.
The Board supports the work of HOHK and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director (ED), appropriate involvement of the board is essential to the sustainability and advancement of the organization and our mission.
Responsibilities of all board members include:
- Attend all board meetings and strive to attend organization-led events
- Understand and articulate the mission, vision and strategy of the organization
- Participate in a minimum of two volunteer activities each year Act as an ambassador for the organization and represent HOHK in the community (e.g. speaking engagements)
- Actively seek opportunities for strategic partnerships that will benefit the organization
- Promote HOHK to potential funders including, corporations, foundations, member organizations and donors
- Prioritize HOHK as your top philanthropic focus reflected in an annual financial gift of HK$50,000 that may be donated or secured as a separate financial donation, sponsorship or grant.
Each HOHK board member’s performance and contribution is reviewed on an annual basis. Criteria for reviews is based on KPIs around core competencies set and agreed at the start of their term.
HOHK’s board members serve a two-year term after which they are eligible for re-appointment or may step down. Board meetings will be held six times per year. Additional meetings and calls with the board and ED may be organized as needed. Service on HOHK’s board of directors is without remuneration, except for previously agreed upon reimbursement of costs in relation to board members’ duties.
Responsibilities for Development role on board
- Serve as lead board director on business development and fundraising
- Act as trusted advisor to the ED and board on revenue generation and fostering the financial health of the organization
- Identify and outreach to potential funders, including high-net-worth individuals, foundations, corporates and others
- Seek out and secure opportunities for HOHK to benefit financially (e.g. events, fundraising campaigns)
- Drive the board’s fundraising efforts, leading and supporting all board member’ efforts to raise revenue
- Lead and manage a development committee (as applicable)
1.Drive the generation of revenue to agreed amount based on annual budget
2.Introduction of HOHK to five (5) qualified new funders
3.100% board contribution of HKD50,000 each