Age Minimum (with Adult): 5+, Minimum Age:5+
Serve-A-Thon: Create a sensory box for a student with intellectual disabilities
Description: During the health crisis, students with intellectual disabilities have been isolated from their larger support-community and faced additional challenges in channelling their energy and emotions during social distancing and self-isolation. We invite volunteers to make a 'Sensory box' that will be delivered to a child with special needs. These boxes allows them to explore, discover and experience the calming effects of sensory input and tactile touch. Volunteers will be provided with guidelines and a video that shares ideas on how to produce sensory boards combining textures and elements that stimulate their senses and make them happy. Volunteer Roles:
- We will ask each volunteer or family to make one sensory box. Each box consists of 6-8 sensory boards that can be easily made by materials you can find at home.
- Feel free to be creative and have some fun with this! Get as colourful as you like to help make the recipient's day. This is a fun weekend activity for families.
- Please click here to see the instruction video—this includes a suggested approach for your sensory boards but does not need to be followed exactly. You can do your own planning and gather your own materials, to prepare items and elements that are visually stimulating and tactile.
- Please see a list of materials required below if you would like to follow our approach exactly.
All materials needed All tools needed
- Paper container (e.g. mask box) x1
- Egg carton x1
- Tissue box x4
- A4 paper x2
- Old towel x1
- Ice cream sticks x2
- Yakult bottle x4
- Beans/rice/salt 150g
- Cleaning sponge (2 layers) x1
- Glue stick
- White glue (白膠漿)
- Colour pencils/markers
- We also welcome each volunteer or family to write a message and decorate on a card or the outside of your box to share support, good wishes or just a line of positivity (in English or Chinese). Bear in mind these will be received by the special needs school.
- You will need to post or deliver your box to the HandsOn team.
- By September 14th, 2020, we will email volunteers to provide the instruction video, guideline, delivery address, and date by we need your box. HandsOn will collect them and deliver them to the special schools. If you have any enquires, please send an email to HOHK@handsonhongkong.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: