Join the team to promote messages of diversity, unity and mutual understanding in multicultural Hong Kong.
The project involves:
• Choosing 10 interviews from the profiles selected by Dear Hong Kong
• Transcribe Interview from audio recording
• Selecting the most relevant content and shaping it into a story. Their story.
• Writeup of approximately 10 x 200-300 words story
• Submission of the final results to Dear Hong Kong in a word document. Information provided
• Sample stories from completed interviews
• Guidelines for transcription and copywriting. Style guide
• Audio file and actual automated transcription (trint.com)
Length of service / commitment required
Amount of time required per month
Location of volunteer work
Work from home
NGO office location
NGO mission and description of organization’s work
We exist to showcase and bring awareness of Hong Kong's cultural diversity through art and inspiring stories. We aim to increase respect and inclusion to individuals who are not perceived to be locals by many in society. If we are successful our project will result in a positive feeling of belonging and unity through society.
Our journey so far
We are a heart project, that:
- started in 2014 as a way to solve a social problem, which was very much related to Oskar's core values
- conducted its first interviews in 2015. We use visual arts as storytelling
- got a new CoFounder, Aggie in 2018. Together Oskar and Aggie start building the concept and processes for Dear Hong Kong.
- welcomed Bradley as the main photographer in 2019. As a team, we conduct the first interviews and photoshoots.
- Interviewed 83 HKers so far including Christopher Doyle, Founder of Mother's Choice, Dr Mike Manio, Jeff Rotmeyer, etc
Our biggest achievement
We have 2 things that we are especially proud of:
1) Inspiring people to get passionate about unity in Hong Kong and to join the project. Although we always want to be respectful of volunteers' time, it gave us a thrill each time a volunteer suggested getting more deeply involved in our project.
2) Breaking a lot of stereotypes that people have about different nationalities.
Why you should donate your skills to us
The issue of unity is really topical in Hong Kong at present.
You might love working with us if you:
1) Want to join an experienced team of individuals, who are very passionate about the work they do
2) Would like to help co-create a unique book about one of the positive sides of the city we love. It's really fun to make things.
3) Want to meet and be inspired by a very large network of really remarkable people, from a large variety of interesting backgrounds
Impact of skills-based volunteer support on NGO and mission
We are so excited to be getting to the business end of creating our book showcasing the diverse nature of Hong Kong and the contributions made by Hong Kongers born overseas.
Your work will become part of our flagship book that will directly reach out into the Hong Kong community and spread an appreciation of diversity.
Good in English and excellence in Cantonese Chinese
Key contact person for service
(Phone: 6546 2227)
Start date for position
May 18th, 2020
End date for position
Aug 30th, 2020
Remarks or special requirements
Possibility for future paid position
Interested candidates please submit your CV directly to the key contact named above. Any candidate screening, interview and selection process will be conducted by the NGO.